It is often assumed that if a product is on the shelf that it is safe for us. Unfortunately this is not always the case, it pays to choose your carefully. Fortunately there are now some good resources to help us do this. Including the Good Guide, EWG Skin Deep and EPA Safer Choices and Greenguard Gold.
If you have chemical or fragrance sensitivity you may like some of my low toxic product choices.
- Personal Care Products,
- Safer Arts and Crafts,
- Pest Control
- You may also be interested in.
- Health Effects of Chemical Exposures (pdf) by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- The Non-Toxic-Cleaning-Workshop-Handbook. also has some good tips too, as does the WEBMD tips for a healthy home.
- RPAH Personal Hygiene and Medicine Guide Scent & Chemical Sensitivity [7 page PDF]. Some product recommendations for people with scent and chemical sensitivity.
You come into contact with chemicals every day.
This is called chemical exposure. Although some chemical exposures are safe, others are not. A certain amount of a harmful chemical must enter your body to make you sick. Harmful chemicals can get into your body if you breathe, eat, or drink them or if they are absorbed through your skin. This booklet explains some links between chemicals and other harmful substances and their possible health effects.
People respond to chemical exposures in different ways. Some people may come into contact with a chemical and never be harmed. Others may be more sensitive and get sick. Sometimes illness happens only if you are exposed to a harmful substance for a long time.
Many factors play a part in whether you get sick from contact with chemicals, including
- The kind of chemical you are exposed to,
- How much of the chemical you were in contact with,
- How long the contact lasted,
- How often you were exposed,
- How it entered your body, and
- Your health.
The use of common household cleaners is responsible for placing many hundreds of chemicals into our environment.
More people are developing allergic reactions, chemical sensitivities and just plain toxic overload, than ever before.
Clean air results in better health, whether you have respiratory allergies or not.
Non Toxic Cleaning Handbook Hornsby Council NSW gov.