You don’t need a doctor to identify these sources of stress. Lifestyle decisions—along with genetics—shape the foundation of your health and determine its future. The longer chronic stress undermines your core functional systems, the harder it is for your body is able to compensate for poor lifestyle behaviors.
- Insufficient or poor quality SLEEP, rest, and recovery
- Negatively internalizing EMOTIONS
- Poor FOOD choices, lack of dietary discipline, failure to control blood sugar levels and nutrient intake
- Too much, or too little EXERCISE
- Self-destructive behavior in general
Doctors trained in functional medicine can help identy medical causes for ill health, as well as subclinical (obscure) causes, that have already resulted from genetic influeces combined with chronic stress and environmental exposures.
- Adrenal gland exhaustion (e.g low cortisol, this causes reduced tolerance to ALL stress and impairs of healing)
- Impaired Liver Detoxification
- Intestinal infections (e.g. SIBO) and poor gut health (e.g. dysbiosis)
- Fungal and viral infections
Doctors trained in functional medicine often work within an integrative care team, who can help you customise your wellness plan to your individual needs and circumstances.
- Food intolerances
- Exposure to Environmental toxins such as metals, chemicals, (e.g. solvents, pesticides) and molds
- Electromagnetic radiation from wired and wireless technologies
- Pollutants PM
- Environmental Illness (SBS, BRI, CIRS, MCS)
What should your wellness plan Do?
Your wellness plan should REMOVE, RESTORE and REHABILITATE
- Remove excess stressors (ie reduce your total stressor load and calm your chronic stress response)
- Restore proper core functioning (gut, liver, immune, nervous system, HPA axis, other) through proper lifestyle, diet changes and appropropriate medical and other treatments as needed
- Rehabilitate - help you learn new skills, and ways of doing things in order to maintain ongoing wellness, or to significantly improve quality of life, if complete wellness is not possible for you due to chronic injury, certain health conditions, vulnerable genetics, age).
Disclaimer: not medical advise for your consideration only. Always see a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment guideance. For complex pain syndromes and multisystem illness a doctor trained in the functional medicine matrix or pain recovery and integrative medicine is usually best.